Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Delights of Autumn

This is the first time in my whole life that I have ever had tomatoes ripening on the vine.  Gardening has been somewhat sketchy for me in the past.  Many years when I was working full time we had neither garden space or time.  Now I have a wee garden and pots of things like tomatoes and herbs.  I have enjoyed both so much this year.  And the taste of those tomatoes is incomparable to ones that we eat in the winter time. 

Today we had the pleasure of shopping at the Halifax market.  I supplemented my supply of tomatoes enough so that I could make salsa.  And we bought fresh Nova Scotia valley strawberries--the kind that have been produced especially for this time of year.  They are delicious--and I had fun making some freezer jam.

1 comment:

Alice said...

You've been busy, Marilyn. We've been enjoying those vine-ripened tomatoes out here too but haven't made salsa. I'm thinking about it - just a small batch since I've never made it before but have a great recipe for it. Yes, gotta love that fresh produce in season...winter will come and the fresh "pickens" will just be a pleasant memory.